There are few things you want to check before you starting a new venture/job/work relationship.
Over the years, I found that with very few questions, you can tell if the person in front of you can ‘get things done’ or she/he just repeating the buzz words they collected over the years. Here are some questions from a larger set that I’m using from time to time:
- Which CEOs outside your industry do you admire? Why?
- What are the three most important things (Critical Success Factors) for your company?
- Which competitor do you most admire? Why?
- How do you allocate your time on a daily basis?
- What qualities are must-haves when you’re looking at a new hire?
- What would you do with a ‘gift’ of $100M?
- What book is your favorite one?
- What activity you like most?
- Things you can’t live without?
Another great set of famous questions are from Bernard Pivot.
It’s a ‘lighter’ version that is better over a drink:
- What is your favorite word?
- What is your least favorite word?
- What turns you on?
- What turns you off?
- What sound or noise do you love?
- What sound or noise do you hate?
- What is your favorite curse word?
- What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
- What profession would you not like to do?
- If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
here is a great example from the Actors Studio with John Travolta (go to 40sec). His last answer is great…