It’s hard task to try and describe what is a great web application. but just like the old phrase that was famously used by United States Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart to describe his threshold test for pornography in Jacobellis v. Ohio (1964) – “I know it when I see it”
So I took the freedom to put a quick list of some apps that IMHO are ‘good to great’.
First are the productivity/utility apps (you might call them even business apps):
- Docs and/or Zoho – let you have access to your files from everywhere plus the option to have version control and muti editing.
- Picnik – Image editor that works great with Picasa, Flickr and others.
- Aviary image editor with ‘fancy’ features for designers (and developers that think they are designers).
- Todo.ly – Todo list with lots of features and great user interface.
- box.net – save your files in the cloud. Similar to dropbox.
- Mint – is the free and easy way to manage your finances online and see all your accounts in one place ― safely and securely.
- Slide Rocket – defines the new way to create stunning presentations that deliver lasting impressions and measurable results.
On the ‘taking notes’ section we have three nice apps:
If you have other apps you think are worthy – please let me know…
For more resources on HOW to build a great web app: