If after a docker installation on your mac you are getting something like:
Get http:///var/run/docker.sock/v1.20/version: dial unix /var/run/docker.sock: no such file or directory.
* Are you trying to connect to a TLS-enabled daemon without TLS?
* Is your docker daemon up and running?
You came to the right place.
If you follow the steps from official tutorial on how to install docker on Mac, you will come to a point where you can’t run docker. It took me a good chunk of time to find the solution so I’ve decided to write this short post on it. I hope it will be fixed soon as for this issue – but for now you will need to follow these 3 steps:
- Finish all the steps of the Docker Toolbox installation program. Don’t worry if you are getting any errors.
- Remove the .docker directory:
$rm -rf /Users/YOUR_NAME/.docker
make sure to change YOUR_NAME with your current user name.
- Restart the Docker Quick start Terminal from Applications.
It will recreate the .docker directory with the correct user and permissions.
- Try now to type: docker run hello-world